Environmental Policy Statement
Ainsworth Civils is an environmentally friendly organisation, which due to our size and nature of the activities the organisation has some significant environmental impacts affecting the local and global environment.
Some of these environmental impacts include the use of natural resources, the consumption of energy and water, the production of a variety of waste, not to mention the number of staff, and drivers travelling to and from the organisation and clients sites each day.
The organisation recognises it has a significant impact on the local and global environment and has made a corporate commitment to improving its environmental performance by signing up to an Environmental Policy.
The Environmental Policy has been in place a number of years and contains the following main principles:
- Encourage staff involvement in environmental issues through education as well as appropriate information, training and participation exercises
- Promote energy conservation by efficient use, careful planning and design with due regard to improved energy utilisation and appropriate investment in energy efficient measures
- Minimise waste and ensure that there is effective control, which promotes recycling where possible and provides responsible disposal, particularly with regard to hazardous wastes
- Promote environmentally responsible policies in all its commercial activities, including purchasing and investment
- Strive to eliminate the release of pollutants, to be achieved by application of discharge controls, and also by initial assessment and continuing evaluation of the appropriateness of and need for any activity which could have an impact on the environment
- Adopt an environmentally sound transport strategy
- Adopt policies which take into account the visual impact of the organisations activities
- Take into consideration the likely environmental effect of the organisations activities and developments on the local community
- Expect similar environmental standards from all parties with whom the organisation deals
The Energy & Environment Team has responsibility for implementing the environmental policy throughout the organisation and its activities. In order to establish action plans for improvements a number of other policies such as transport, energy and waste have been developed that outline short, medium and long term objectives and targets to be achieved and the success of these is reviewed on a regular basis.
More information about what the organisation is doing to improve its environmental performance can be found throughout this website including procedures that staff needs to follow. Information on how staff can help the organisation maintain its performance is also given.
We will ensure that every aspect of our activities is conducted in accordance with sound environmental practices.
We will achieve this by:
- Minimising the consumption of natural resources and energy, whilst consuming material goods in moderation
- Reducing the creation of waste by the adoption of improved operating practices and by the recycling of materials whenever practical
Ensuring all waste and effluent is disposed of in a safe and responsible manner
- Investing in the development of new products and processes that have an improved performance regarding their impact on the environment
- Complying with environmental legislation
The organisations aims to foster among its staff, suppliers, customers, shareholders and communities local to its operations an understanding of environmental issues in the context of its business. Our collective task is to ensure that we continually improve the environmental impact of our total global activities.
By this policy the organisations recognises its responsibility towards protection of the environment, and issues this statement as a commitment of both management and employees to minimising the environmental impact of its operations.